What is Group Location?
Group Location lets everyone work better together. Similar to the Location service on IFTTT, Group Location can be used to trigger Applets when you and/or a Group member enter or exit locations. Through a Group and location sharing, you can control and automate the smart devices and digital service in your life to work with all of the people in your home.
How do I use it?
To start, go to the Group Location page and click Connect. You will be prompted to create your Group and invite members to join. Once you have created a Group, you can create and enable Applets using the Group Location service.
Some suggestions and popular Applets:
- Make sure the garage door is closed! - Close your garage door when everyone leaves, never come home to an open garage door.
- Turn on the lights when someone gets home - When someone arrives home, turn on the porch or garage light to welcome them home.
In speaking with Group Location users, they are using their Applets to control the smart devices in their home and automate home security, lighting, and to get notifications about the updates in their home.
Creating your Group
When you select Connect for Group Location, whether on the service page or the create flow, you will be shown a Create group screen. You can invite members of your group now, but you always have the option to manage/add members later too (in case you want to create your Applets first and invite them later).
Add/remove members to your Group
You can navigate to the Manage group page at any time to modify who is in your group.
Can I make more than one Group?
At the moment, Group Location is limited to a single group per group owner. If you would like to see multiple groups as an option in the future, please let us know!
Quick troubleshooting tips
If you are running into any issues connecting to Group Location or making an Applet, please verify the following information:
- Are you using the latest version of our Android or iOS apps? If not, please update your app and try again.
- Are you using the correct email address for your friends or family? You can review the pending invites at https://ifttt.com/user_groups
- Does everyone in your group have the IFTTT app downloaded and the correct location permissions enabled on their phones?
Please see below for the recommended permission settings:
- On your iPhone, open Settings > scroll down and tap IFTTT > then ensure location is set to Always and background app refresh is enabled
- Open the IFTTT app > tap profile > tap sync options > enable location assist syncing
- On your Android Device, open Settings > Apps > IFTTT > Permissions > Location, and set Allow all the time
- Go to Settings > Apps > IFTTT > Advanced > Battery, and select Don't optimize.
- Go to Settings > Location, and turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning, then head to Settings > Location > Advanced and turn on Google Location Accuracy.
- Follow these instructions to enable a persistent notification for the IFTTT app
- Open the IFTTT app > tap profile > tap sync options > tap see advanced location options > enable enhanced location services with High accuracy
Do the other members of my Group need to have smart home access?
- No. Only the Group owner requires access to the services that you want to automate since they manage the Applets associated with the Group.
Does everyone in my Group need to have a Pro subscription?
- Only the Group owner will need to have an active Pro subscription. Applets will work as expected if Group members are on the Free Tier.